Monday, January 12, 2015

Clip Clop

CONTENTS
TENNESSEE LIFE
PET PEEVES
CRAFTS
PRODUCT REVIEW
BOOK REVIEWS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TENNESSEE LIFE:

I have met the neighbors on either side of me. One neighbor is far enough away, we can't see the house, the other neighbor can be seen in the Winter, but barely seen through the trees in the Summer. Both seem very nice. I have not met the mysterious ones that own a small section of land on the lake sort of behind us. Luckily no trouble from them, but haven't heard good things.
I also haven't met our neighbor sort of across the street from us. All this is relative to the area. Across the street in our NJ town, was literally, 50 feet from our front door to theirs. Here in TN, is go down the hill of our 200 foot driveway to the main road, turn right, a few more 100 feet, then up their long driveway. When we first were looking at our house, we thought "Southern Serenity" as our neighbors call their spread was a retirement community. We saw a large building that we assumed was the activity center. WRONG! Southern Serenity is a private residence that trains Tennessee Walking Horses.
Weighted shoes

Caustic chemical damage

There is much controversy about the training and abuse of these beautiful horses for winning shows. Some trainers cruelly put caustic chemical on the horses ankles and wrap with plastic wrap. This causes pain and makes the horses lift the feet for the special gait/walk these horses are known for. Others cut the tendons, so the feet can move unnaturally. What may look to the audience like a happy horse prancing is actually a horse flinching -- the animal lifts its legs higher because putting them on the ground is painful.
Of course I've read by defenders of the breed that this abuse is not necessary to win titles. I don't know enough to judge and I don't know how I feel about my neighbor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PET PEEVE:
Grammar:

I vs. me
The mistakes of using these two pronouns has bothered my Father more than me. Mainly because I did not know the correct "rule" for usage. The link above goes in depth to explain and I feel much more educated about these two words. I still have to think before I type I or me.
"Simply"...
"I" is a pronoun that is doing the action.
"me" is a pronoun that the action is being done to.  If you are really interested, Click the link above. It's nice to learn something that has bothered me for years.

ask vs ax



to vs too

across vs acrost or acrossed

Visit Grammarly for more "exciting" tips on grammar.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CRAFTS:
Yes, I've been knitting away here and there. I've been enjoying Mystery Knit a Longs again. I'm trying very hard to not purchase yarn. So far so good. I'm using what I have on hand.
Nina Cowl


































Hitchhiker scarf

2014 Year of lace scarf

Don't Ruche Me Scarf

Don't Ruche Me (close up)
These knitted items are beautiful (if I do say so myself). The photos do not do them justice at all! I am at the point in my knitting that I just can't wear all of these, especially when I don't go anywhere. Anyone interested in any of my pieces, let me know. Maybe I'll gift them to you or ask for a donation (you choose amount) to the charity of my choice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PRODUCT REVIEW:
I am officially hooked on the Kindle. While I was doing some local sightseeing at Parker's Crossroads Battlefield, I pick up a paperback book "When I was a Slave". It was only $4.50. Today I began reading it. I am so spoiled about not needing to use reading glasses to read the kindle and not have to have the bedside lamp on while reading, that it is difficult to go back to a printed book. Out come the reading glasses, the lamp has to be on and when I'm ready to fall asleep I now have to reach for the off switch of the lamp and hope one of the 4-5 dogs in bed with us, decides to roll into "my spot". For only 99 cents, problem solved. I downloaded it to my kindle. Yes! It's worth the extra $1. spent for the convenience of kindle paperwhite ease of reading.
I've had my kindle paperwhite for a year and am still very very pleased with this wonderful reading tool.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BOOK REVIEW:
Bluestone Homecoming (Welcome to Bluestone #1)Bluestone Homecoming by M.J. Fredrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very enjoyable quick read. The characters were likeable. Set in a small town the is trying to be revived. Some characters left for larger cities, some stayed and wondered if they should leave. All are drawn together with the goal of reviving this sweet little town.
A nice romance, with some tough decision making. No silliness, a couple of hot sex scenes...oh my. A happy ending, but things left incomplete to make room for a sequel.

When I Was a Slave: Memoirs from the Slave Narrative CollectionWhen I Was a Slave: Memoirs from the Slave Narrative Collection by Norman R. Yetman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Book is just as the title states. It is many narratives from former slaves. They tell it like it is. Nothing fancy, no  "artistic license" to make it read better or flow better.
Most of what is written, I've read before, but there were a few new things that were new to me about the life of slaves. Interesting to read, but does get quite repetitive with many similar, very sad tales.

Did you know there was a concentration type camp during the Civil War in the South? It was the Andersonville Civil War Prison in Andersonville, GA, The Commander of the prison was actually convicted and hung for committing war crimes.

Take Two and Call Me In The Morgue (Bennington, #2)Take Two and Call Me In The Morgue by D.W. Ulsterman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An intense drama. Quite frustrating because it is dealing with politics, government agencies, health care and all the fatheads in those fields that think they can play god.
A cure for cancer? Possibly, if greed doesn't win over true caring.
A wide variety of characters that hold their own. Because they are all unique, it is easy to keep track of who is who.
Bennington P.I. is a likeable character. I think the author was trying for an older Myron Bolitar. A sarcastic, irreverent, PI. Being a woman of 58, I can relate to this older Bennington and his aging body and trying to keep up, and yet learning to accept the consequences of growing old.
I will be reading more from this author. This title was a free Kindle download.

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW:
The Kitchen HouseThe Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Excellent mixture of history, a touch of romance. The author did a lot of research to write this book. At age 7, an orphaned girl becomes an indentured servant & lives in the main house as part of the kitchen help. She is white, but through the open hearts of the slaves is brought in to their lives as part of their family.
The book follows this girl into womanhood, marriage, and old age, along with the Master and his family and the slaves that raised her and loved her.
Excellent narration also.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels